Friday, June 22, 2007

Crying out to God (Study taken from IBLP’s ‘The Power of True Success’)

Now it came to pass on a certain day, that he went into a ship with his disciples: and he said unto them, Let us go over unto the other side of the lake. And they launched forth. But as they sailed he fell asleep: and there came down a storm of wind on the lake; and they were filled with water, and were in jeopardy. And they came to him, and awoke him, saying, Master, master, we perish. Then he arose, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water: and they ceased, and there was a calm. And he said unto them, Where is your faith? And they being afraid wondered, saying one to another, What manner of man is this! for he commandeth even the winds and water, and they obey him.
(Luk 8:22-25)

Jesus did not save the disciples from their distress until the moment they cried out – not one second sooner. When we are distress then we know that we have come to an end of ourselves and He wants us to call upon Him to deliver us.
- The most important crying out is for salvation which is to be born again
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. (John 3:3)

Today about 5 to 10% follow through in their decision to follow Jesus in comparison to 75 to 80% in the revival days of Jonathan Edwards and Charles Finney. These men didn’t ask for decisions but explained the awesome wrath of God. The change of heart during those days that had the lasting impact was because they were not perfect, having broken God’s commandment and violated His character. The people those days were introduced to a Holy God who required perfection to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. The listeners’ response was to cry out so that God will make the decision to have mercy upon them. This approach is very consistent with Scripture with regard to Salvation.
Peter’s message at the first Pentecost resulting in 3000 new believers included:
The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. (Act 2:20-21)

What is the difference between crying out and prayer?
- There is a clear distinction between the two….
Hear the right, O LORD, attend unto my cry, give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips. (Psa 17:1)
Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. (Psa 61:1)
Let my prayer come before thee: incline thine ear unto my cry;
(Psa 88:2)
- Prayer requires being trained as the disciples asked Jesus to teach them so (Luke 11:1)
- Crying takes no training because it’s a natural response as with a newborn baby. It is the beginning response for salvation and a continual expression of our need throughout life.
Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice. (Psa 55:17)

God will listen to our cries! He also responds
In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears. (Psa 18:6)
When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back: this I know; for God is for me.
(Psa 56:9)
Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.
(Jer 33:3)

Conditions that hinder us from crying to God
- Not crying whole heartedly
I cried with my whole heart; hear me, O LORD: I will keep thy statutes. (Psa 119:145)
And they have not cried unto me with their heart, when they howled upon their beds: they assemble themselves for corn and wine, and they rebel against me. (Hos 7:14)

The crying out by David was whole hearted in comparison to the people in Hosea’s time which had mixed in rebellion.

- Not crying with sincere humility
But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. (Jam 4:6)
When he maketh inquisition for blood, he remembereth them: he forgetteth not the cry of the humble. (Psa 9:12)

- Not fulfilling past vows
The marriage vow is sacred and cannot be broken
And this have ye done again, covering the altar of the LORD with tears, with weeping, and with crying out, insomuch that he regardeth not the offering any more, or receiveth it with good will at your hand. Yet ye say, Wherefore? Because the LORD hath been witness between thee and the wife of thy youth, against whom thou hast dealt treacherously: yet is she thy companion, and the wife of thy covenant. And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth. For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.
(Mal 2:13-16)

- Not confessing and forsaking sin
If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:
(Psa 66:18)
And the children of Israel cried unto the LORD, saying, We have sinned against thee, both because we have forsaken our God, and also served Baalim. And the LORD said unto the children of Israel, Did not I deliver you from the Egyptians, and from the Amorites, from the children of Ammon, and from the Philistines? The Zidonians also, and the Amalekites, and the Maonites, did oppress you; and ye cried to me, and I delivered you out of their hand. Yet ye have forsaken me, and served other gods: wherefore I will deliver you no more. Go and cry unto the gods which ye have chosen; let them deliver you in the time of your tribulation.
(Jdg 10:10-14)

- Not giving to the needs of the poor
Whoso stoppeth his ears at the cry of the poor, he also shall cry himself, but shall not be heard. (Pro 21:13)
Ye shall not afflict any widow, or fatherless child. If thou afflict them in any wise, and they cry at all unto me, I will surely hear their cry; And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless. (Exo 22:22-24)

In addition to helping the poor and needy, we need to have compassion to those who work for us.
Thou shalt not oppress an hired servant that is poor and needy, whether he be of thy brethren, or of thy strangers that are in thy land within thy gates: At his day thou shalt give him his hire, neither shall the sun go down upon it; for he is poor, and setteth his heart upon it: lest he cry against thee unto the LORD, and it be sin unto thee.
(Deu 24:14-15)

- Not removing bitterness
Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;
(Heb 12:15)
Even to our wives
Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.
(Col 3:19)

Bitterness is evidence of the lack of forgiveness, which Jesus warns us that if don’t forgive others our prayers for forgiveness will not be heard.
But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
(Mat 6:15)

No comments: